Call us 24/7
(703) 445-2222
703.445.2222
+

Five Ways to Detect Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

By: | Tags: | Comments: 0

While carbon monoxide leaks are not uncommon, they are known to be one of the most dangerous types of leaks to have in your home. Often referred to as the “invisible killer” carbon monoxide is a real threat because it is odorless, colorless, and undetectable – until you have the knowledge, resources, and technology. According to statistics, thousands of carbon monoxide threats take place every single year in U.S. households. Rather than allow you or your family to become a victim, here is an overview on how you can take control of the situation and detect carbon monoxide in your home.

  1. Get a Detector

The easiest and the most “no-fuss” way to detect carbon dioxide in your home is to set up an alarm device that is able to detect the substance. Fortunately, there are a number of technologies on the market that have this capability and some even will call emergency services for you upon detection. If you do decide to get a carbon monoxide detector, then just to be safe, you should place one in each room. This will ensure that the carbon monoxide is detected in all areas.

  1. Hard Services and Dew

Another way to detect carbon monoxide, especially if you do not have a detector, is to look for hard surfaces in your home that are gathering an abnormal amount of dew. When increased humidity accumulated on a hard surface, it usually means that carbon monoxide dispersion is taking place. A few of the most common hard surfaces include counters, fireplaces, and even areas on your floor.

  1. A Fireplace that Won’t Turn On

Carbon monoxide can also be detected by the activity levels of your fireplace. If you have a fireplace in your home that will not allow a fire to be lit or that does not smoke if you do achieve a fire, then you may have carbon monoxide around the fireplace. If you do detect the carbon monoxide there, or anywhere else for that matter, it is imperative to call emergency services and to exit your home immediately. Even at low levels, carbon monoxide can be fatal.

  1. Flu-like Symptoms

Another sign that you may have carbon monoxide in your home is if you and other occupants have developed flu-like symptoms. These symptoms include dizziness, nausea, coughing, vomiting, headaches, red eyes, irritation, and the like. Developing flu-like symptoms is one of the most severe stages. If you have no explanation for the flu-like symptoms, then you should see a doctor and have someone detect carbon monoxide levels in your home.

  1. Leaving a Car On

One sure way to detect carbon monoxide is to check your garage to see if you left the car on. Leaving your car on in a closed garage causes carbon monoxide to develop. If this is the case, simply open the garage and close the door leading from your home into the garage. This will allow the harmful gases to escape.

Leave a Reply

Connect with us

Linkedin

Yes! Network with us!

Join our group on

Google

Yup! We're doing it too.